Building User Research Teams – The Book
#1 New Release on Amazon for Web Site Design
#1 New Release on Amazon for User Experience & Website Usability
Building User Research Teams is a practical guide covering how to build a research team of any size. It covers the whole journey, from convincing colleagues that they need a user research team, through to the development and implementation of the tools and processes needed, to running high quality studies and mapping the future development of a growing research team.
Part 1 – Make the case for research
- Learn how research and design work together in product development
- Explain the benefits of research in business terms
- Avoid some common mistakes for new teams
- Educating colleagues about research
- Make friends with other disciplines
- Create a budget for research
- Set research standards
Part 2 – Build research capability
- Set up participant recruitment
- Build a user research lab
- Define a research process
- Create research templates
- Store team knowledge and research files
- Meet ethical and legal standards
Part 3 – Run good research from the start
- Define research objectives
- Plan research studies
- Run studies
- Analyse research findings
- Debrief findings and run workshops
- Continually improve and iterate the research process
Part 4 – Grow a new team
- Grow a team over time
- Create a demand for research
- Develop new research methods
- Hire and develop researchers
- Make research collaborative
- Create a research repository
Read bits of the book
Articles based on the book will be released throughout 2020:
- Create A User Research Lab on any budget.
- An introduction to user research for product managers
- The City Interaction Lab Podcast episode on the book Building User Research Teams.
- My article for Smashing Magazine on selecting the right research method.
- My talk on how mind-maps will speed up user research analysis and debriefing, from the Games User Research Summer Camp.