I am a User Researcher, based in London and with experience in websites, video games and virtual reality.
I currently lead user research at the UK’s biggest commercial publishing company. Before this I built the user research team for UK’s Parliament, and was previously responsible for leading the research for many of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s top European projects. I also work with independent game development teams to improve the usability of their games.
I am an active member of the research community, and am enthusiastic about promoting user research as a key part throughout the lifecycle of digital projects. I started and run a user research mentoring scheme which partners over 100 mentees with 50 industry professional, was a member of the Games User Research Special Interest Group (GUR-SIG) Steering Committee, and was co-chair of the 2015 & 2016 #GamesUR Conference in London.
I have presented my work at the GamesUR Conference, The Research Thing, UXBrighton and CHIPlay, and my work has featured at GDC and at the Develop conference. I have given guest lectures at the University of Sussex and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. I wrote the chapter on ‘Interviewing Players’ for the Games User Research book published by Oxford University Press, and a chapter on measuring social interaction for the book ‘Multiplayer: Social Aspects of Digital Gaming‘.
I write a blog on usability and user experience, with an emphasis on how it applies to games.
- Designing studies for user research.
- Moderation of one to one and group user research sessions.
- Survey design and implementation.
- Interview, lab and focus group observation.
- Ethnographic research.
- Analysis of findings, and reporting to clients.
- Presenting and workshop moderation with clients.
- Expert usability and accessibility evaluation.
- Creation and delivery of User Research training workshops.
- Line management and mentoring of research team members.
- Usability reviews
- Ergonomic and usability testing of hardware.
- Introducing and embedding user research to new organisations.
- Creation and implementation of bespoke user centred design processes
I led the user research team working on the new website for UK’s Parliament
Prior to this, I was a lead user researcher for the PlayStation VR headset, and many of PlayStation’s titles including:
- BigFest (PS Vita)
- InviZimals: The Alliance (PS Vita)
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (PlayStation 4)
- LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4)
- Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)
- No Man’s Sky (PS4, PC)
- PlayStation Vita Pets (PS Vita)
- PlayStation VR Worlds (PlayStation VR)
- RESOGUN (PlayStation 4)
- RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (PlayStation VR)
- Rush of Blood (PlayStation VR)
- SingStar: Ultimate Party (PlayStation 4)
- That’s You! (PlayStation 4)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Walking With Dinosaurs (PlayStation 3)
Other released titles I performed User Research for include:
- DriveClub (PlayStation 4)
- Infamous: Second Son (PlayStation 4)
- LittleBigPlanet Vita (PS Vita)
- LittleBigPlanet Karting (PlayStation 3)
- Music Unlimited (PlayStation 4)
- Playroom (PlayStation 4)
- Puppeteer (PlayStation 3)
- Ratchet and Clank (PlayStation 4)
- Ratchet and Clank: QForce (PlayStation 3)
- RiME (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows)
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PlayStation 3)
- Smart As (PS Vita)
- Soul Sacrifice (PS Vita)
- Tearaway (PS Vita)
- Tearaway Unfolded (PlayStation 4)
- The Unfinished Swan (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Diggs NightCrawler (PlayStation 3)