I am a User Researcher, based in London and with experience in websites, video games and virtual reality.
I currently lead user research at the UK’s biggest commercial publishing company. Before this I built the user research team at UK’s Parliament, and was previously responsible for leading the research for many of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s top European projects, which includes planning the overall research strategy of my projects, designing and running studies using a wide range of methodologies and reporting to stakeholders of all levels. I have also been working with a variety of independent development teams to improve the usability of their games.
I am an active member of the research community, and help to embed user research as a key part throughout the lifecycle of digital projects, through education pieces such as UX advocacy, running research open days and workshops, and I run a user research mentoring scheme. I was a member of the Games User Research Special Interest Group (GUR-SIG) Steering Committee, and was co-chair of the 2015 & 2016 #GamesUR Conference in London.
I have presented my work at the GamesUR Conference, The Research Thing, UXBrighton and CHIPlay, and my work has featured at GDC and at the Develop conference. I have given guest lectures at the University of Sussex and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. I wrote the chapter on ‘Interviewing Players’ for the Games User Research book published by Oxford University Press.
I write a blog on usability and user experience, with an emphasis on how it applies to games.
- Designing studies for user research.
- Moderation of 1 to 1 and group user research sessions.
- Survey design and implementation.
- Interview, lab and focus group observation.
- Ethnographic research.
- Analysis of research, and reporting to clients.
- Presenting and workshop moderation with clients.
- Expert usability and accessibility evaluation.
- Creation and delivery of User Research training workshops.
- Line management and mentoring of research team members.
- Usability reviews
- Ergonomic and usability testing of hardware.
- Creation and communication of bespoke user centered design processes
I led the user research team working on the new website for UK’s Parliament
Prior to this, I was a lead user researcher for the PlayStation VR headset, and many of PlayStation’s titles including:
- BigFest (PS Vita)
- InviZimals: The Alliance (PS Vita)
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (PlayStation 4)
- LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4)
- Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)
- No Man’s Sky (PS4, PC)
- PlayStation Vita Pets (PS Vita)
- PlayStation VR Worlds (PlayStation VR)
- RESOGUN (PlayStation 4)
- RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (PlayStation VR)
- Rush of Blood (PlayStation VR)
- SingStar: Ultimate Party (PlayStation 4)
- That’s You! (PlayStation 4)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Walking With Dinosaurs (PlayStation 3)
Other released titles I performed User Research for include:
- DriveClub (PlayStation 4)
- Infamous: Second Son (PlayStation 4)
- LittleBigPlanet Vita (PS Vita)
- LittleBigPlanet Karting (PlayStation 3)
- Music Unlimited (PlayStation 4)
- Playroom (PlayStation 4)
- Puppeteer (PlayStation 3)
- Ratchet and Clank (PlayStation 4)
- Ratchet and Clank: QForce (PlayStation 3)
- RiME (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows)
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PlayStation 3)
- Smart As (PS Vita)
- Soul Sacrifice (PS Vita)
- Tearaway (PS Vita)
- Tearaway Unfolded (PlayStation 4)
- The Unfinished Swan (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (PlayStation 3)
- Wonderbook: Diggs NightCrawler (PlayStation 3)